Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sell your home in any market : 50 surprisingly simple strategies for getting top dollar fast by Jim Renley

I'd been hoping to be able to read Sell your home in any market : 50 surprisingly simple strategies for getting top dollar fast by Jim Remley this Spring and was not disappointed. It had been in my queue for a few months and finally I received notification that it was available for pick up at my library branch.

A little background: Ten years or so ago, I landed my first job at an attorney's office as a real estate closing secretary. I held that job for a few years before moving to Erie and subsequent better paying positions with larger firms. But really, I cut my legal teeth on real estate. There's a lot of work that goes into getting a house sold and closed and I must confess, Realtors are not my favorite. They are a necessary evil if you want to sell/buy your home and don't have the skills or time to sell/buy on your own. They are generally pushy by nature and would likely transition to a used car salesman job fairly easily with their high pressure tactics. And I am just talking about what they do to people like me who worked on files to get them to close!

So being a seasoned quasi-real estate professional in my past, I read this book with a grain of salt. I really didn't think that the author, Jim Remley, was going to tell me much more than I already knew. How wrong I was! While I did find most of the book to be old hat for me, I did glean some interesting tidbits of knowledge from
Sell your home in any market : 50 surprisingly simple strategies for getting top dollar fast and I was able to thumb through and hit the highlights in a relatively short period of time.

Call me a sinner, but I shamelessly lent the book to my neighbor since they are FSBO'ing their home now.
Sell your home in any market : 50 surprisingly simple strategies for getting top dollar fast is a great primer book for those who are planning to go it alone and FSBO their home in an attempt to avoid the hefty Realtor commission. It provides common sense advice strewn in with some personal anecdotes of the author, which show us all that even he, a seasoned real estate professional, can fall into the traps he wants his readers to avoid. I appreciated the tone of the book; it was very light and not condescending in any way.

No comments: