Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fired Up, by Jayne Ann Krentz (book review)

I was giddy with joy this week when my library called me to tell me that I had a book waiting for me at the library - Fired Up, by Jayne Ann Krentz. I recently had gotten a call for Grave Secret and at that time I was well behind in the queue for Fired Up so I wasn't expecting a call so soon. Now I know why I moved up the list so fast - it is because this book was impossible to put down.

Fired Up is the first of the Dreamlight Trilogy (part of the Arcane Society series) and I can't wait to read the next book. The main characters involve Chloe Harper, a talent whose family shies away from anything Arcane society related. The Harper family, shall we say, has a gift for things that tend to lead to illegal activities. Chloe Harper, however, is above board and works as a PI.

Jack Winters comes to her to ask her to locate a family heirloom, a lamp, which he is convinced will be his salvation. He just so happens to need a dreamlight talent like Chloe to work the lamp with him and their troubles really start once she locates the lamp in record time in Las Vegas.

Of course, an Arcane Society book set in the present cannot lack the Nightshade element and this book is no different. Jack and Chloe get tangled up with Nightshade, who wants the lamp for their own sinister purposes.

Fallon Jones is back this time too and it looks like he is going to get his happy ending in a future book.

Overall, I really liked this book. It had a good plot and flowed well enough to keep me interested long after I should have turned out the light and gone to sleep. I started Fired Up yesterday afternoon and finished it this afternoon, having read 3/4 of it yesterday. It was that intriguing. I read the teaser for the next book in the Dream Light trilogy and it looks equally as interesting, to be set in Victorian times.

Arcane Society fans won't be disappointed.

No comments: