Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Faith of My Fathers by John McCain

With the election just a week away, many if not most Americans' minds are focused on the election. I know that I am voting for McCain, but couldn't resist picking up Faith of My Fathers from my local library since they'd elegantly displayed the books of both presidential candidates.

Faith of My Fathers is one of those books that you can really get into. In fact, I'd read half of it in about a week's time, and then polished off the rest on a lazy Sunday afternoon. What I liked about the book was the insight that it gave me into the mind of John McCain. I knew he'd been a prisoner of war in Vietnam and the book provided me with some details about the treatment he received. One quote in there struck a chord with me, though. He said really fell in love with America during his captivity. I can only imagine how horrible it must feel to be captured and held for 5-1/2 years, wondering if you'll ever get out alive to go home to your family. I would imagine that dreaming of American freedom is what kept these POWs going.

The book begins, however, with a few chapters on his famous Grandfather and Father. Ironically enough, all were Naval Academy grads, but none placed highly in their class at graduation. Nonetheless, they all succeeded. I have always held a great respect for our country's veterans.

Not to say that John McCain was perfect. He freely admits to arrogance and perhaps a bit too much bravado. He escaped death on the Forrestal only to be shot down later and held prisoner for 5-1/2 years. But throughout the book, you can get a glimpse into what makes him who he is. He talks about Veterans and fixing the VA system and I just know in my heart that he will do it.

Half way through the book, I logged on to Amazon and bought a copy for my dad. I hope he enjoys the book as much as I did.

1 comment:

Merge Divide said...

It's too bad that McCain couldn't find it within himself to vote for the expanded G.I. Bill this past May. His opposition to the legislation made him look like a complete hypocrite.