Thursday, November 20, 2008

Robyn Carr's 4th Virgin River book: A Virgin River Christmas

I recall clearly how I came to pick up my first Robyn Carr Virgin River book. I was in Borders (a rare treat since I generally rely on my library for books to read) and the cover intrigued me enough to turn it over and read the back. Mel seemed quite intriguing and the story line seemed interesting enough. However, as I came to know Mel and Jack and the subsequent Virgin River folks, I came to realize that what I liked most about the Virgin River series of books is that Robyn Carr's characters are real.

Her characters are real in that they are poor (like the rest of us) and don't have a million dollar trust fund to live the high life. Virgin River's residents are exactly how you would hope the folks would be in your own little town: friendly and genuinely concerned for your well being. The menfolk in this town may have left the Corps, but the Corps never left them. This tightly knit community takes care of its own, and the few strays that happen to stop in for a meal or a drink at Jack's bar.

In this fourth book, we are introduced to a spunky military widow desperately trying to find her deceased husband's war buddy who is traumatized by the War and his role in her husband's severe disabilities. Compelled by her desire for closure, she spends weeks trying to find him. Will they get a Christmas miracle? Will both have their hearts made whole again? I won't spoil the book, but I think you will enjoy meeting up with old friends and new ones too.

Did you miss the first three books? They are still out in paper back. I do think that each could stand on their own, yet reading the series from the beginning is so much more enriching and fulfilling to understanding the characters more fully.

Link to Robyn Carr's Website
Contest to win Virgin River Christmas

Virgin River Books: Virgin River, Shelter Mountain, Whispering Rock and Virgin River Christmas. Be on the lookout early next year for more books in this series.

No comments: