Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tasha Alexander's A Fatal Waltz book review

A Fatal Waltz

Book Four of the (mis)adventures of Lady Emily Ashton picks up not long after the end of A Poisoned Season. In A Fatal Waltz, Lady Emily is a true friend to Ivy and attends a shooting party at Lord Fortescue's estate. A murder at the shooting party puts Robert, Ivy's husband, in the spotlight as the main suspect for the murder. In order to save her dear friend's husband from hanging for a crime he didn't commit, Lady Emily takes her investigation on the road - to Vienna, a city full of life, artists and intrigue. Will Lady Emily be able to solve the murder case before Robert's trial? Colin makes an appearance in Vienna to lend a bit of assistance to her inquiries, of course, but is in clear and present danger.

What I liked about A Fatal Waltz, and previous books in this series by Tasha Alexander, is the strong will of Lady Emily. Four books later, she still is in love with Greek, Colin and port (but not necessarily in that order). Considering the time period (late 1800s), she is the exception and not the rule. Somehow, she maintains her independence despite agreeing to marrying Colin. In the end, I admit, I was surprised to find out who the killer really was. Hindsight is always 20/20 and the clues were there, if the reader is intuitive enough to piece the pieces of the puzzle together.

One thing I love about Tasha Alexander is that she has written this quartet of books in just about two years. That averages out to one book every six months. For me, that is a big plus because it's not so long the storyline fades from mind. I hate it when I find an author I love only to find out they write a book once every few years. I like consistency and so far, Tasha Alexander has provided that to me and I thank her for that. I am looking forward to the next installment of Lady Emily and I know it won't be too far in the future that I will again be engrossed in another one of Tasha Alexander's delicious novels.

No comments: