Sunday, February 15, 2009

Arcane Society books by Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick

Recently, I have been reading some Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick books featuring the Arcane Society. A newsletter I received recently featured Sizzle & Burn and decided to read the book. I'm glad I did! That book made me want to go back to the beginning so I started requesting Arcane Society books from my local library. I recently checked out Second Sight, but didn't think it was nearly as good as Sizzle & Burn. I'm now reading The Third Circle, which is thus far turning out to be interesting.

For those who haven't been reading the Arcane Society books by Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick (one of her many pen names), then you really should. I found the paranormal aspects easily believable and the romance wasn't lacking either. My only beef with Second Sight was the over use of "one" at nearly every turn. Did people really talk like that in Victorian times? I found the use of "one" as a pronoun almost too much to bear, but overall enjoyed the book.

The Arcane Society books are set in past late Victorian times and also in the present. Present day settings reference our Victorian heroes and heroines from Amanda Quick's books. There's romance, mystery and paranormal/psychic threads to each of the novels and I do think that the series is well worth the read!

No comments: