Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review of "Homespun Bride" By Jillian Hart

Upon getting my nook, I immediately started searching BN.com for free ebooks. Jillian Hart's Homespun Bride was free to download and since I enjoy historical romances, I gave it a try.

Homespun Bride is set in Montana Territory in 1883. The main characters, Thad McCaslin and Noelle Kramer meet again after several years after he saves her and her aunt from certain death. Thad had left Noelle waiting for him to come get her so that they could get married. She waited and waited and he never showed. Broken-hearted, she eventually agrees to marry another, but had the engagement broken after she became blind following an accident.

When Thad comes back into Noelle's life, he begins to feel the stirrings of love that he thought he had pushed so far down in his heart that they'd never surface again. Instead, he is even more in love with Noelle than he was the first time he planned to marry her. Will she be able to forgive him? Can a blind woman make a good wife in the harsh territory?

I liked this book for the most part. I haven't read any of the previous McCaslin series, so I would have to say that as a stand alone book, it works. I did feel the romance dragged on a little too long, but this is a Love Inspired romance so there's a heavy helping of faith and a side dish of passion. The characters were almost too chaste, so if you are looking for something with a lot of passion, this book will disappoint.

However, for romance lovers who enjoy reading a romance story where the characters are bound by some morals and don't jump into bed within the first 20 pages of the book, then this is your book. I do enjoy the Love Inspired series quite a lot and pick them up from time to time to ground myself when I've read far too many other romance novels containing graphic sex scenes. I think it is important to remember God as much as possible and a "clean" romance is a nice change of pace.

Note: Homespun Bride is currently free to download at BN.com for your nook, at Amazon for your Kindle and Ereader.com for your Sony Reader.

No comments: